Monday, May 5, 2014

Dear Nobody Review

Dear Nobody: The True Diary of Mary Rose

TITLE: Dear Nobody: The True Diary of Mary Rose
EDITED BY: Gillian McCain & Legs McNeil
PUBLISHER: Sourcebooks Fire
PUBLICATION DATE: 4/1/2014
PAGES: 336
MY RATING:

SUMMARY (from Goodreads): Go Ask Alice was a hoax. But Dear Nobody is a true teen diary so raw and so edgy its authenticity rings off every page.

"I am a freak."

The words and drawings of Mary Rose present a gritty, powerful, no-holds-barred true experience of a teen girl so desperate to be loved, so eager to fit in that she'll go to extremes that could cost her her life.

This is not a story about addiction. Or sexual promiscuity. Or cystic fibrosis. It's the story of a young woman with a powerful will to live, who more than anything wants to be heard...and loved.

This compelling, emotional account ensures her voice will not be forgotten.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: This was a heartbreaking story. I feel so bad about everything this girl had to go through. All she wanted was acceptance and she compromised herself in an attempt to get it. This story is not for everyone. It's extremely emotional and I had a hard time getting through it. 

CHARACTERS: This is a hard category to write about for this book. I feel like I understand Mary Rose because we were reading directly from her diary. There aren't really any characters in this book that I like. I feel like with everything that's happening to Mary Rose that she should have a support system in her family at the least, but there's no one there for her and it breaks my heart.

COVER: The cover is fine. It's hard for me to judge the cover of this book with the intensity of feelings that I have about the book itself.

**I received an E-ARC of this book from Netgalley for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! I love hearing what you have to say!