Monday, February 2, 2015

Playlist For The Dead Review

Playlist for the Dead

TITLE: Playlist For The Dead
AUTHOR: Michelle Falkoff
PUBLISHER: Harper Teen
PUBLICATION DATE: 1/27/2015
FORMAT: ARC
PAGES: 288
SOURCE: Amazon Vine
MY RATING:


SUMMARY (From Goodreads): Here's what Sam knows: There was a party. There was a fight. The next morning, his best friend, Hayden, was dead. And all he left Sam was a playlist of songs, and a suicide note: For Sam--listen and you'll understand.

As he listens to song after song, Sam tries to face up to what happened the night Hayden killed himself. But it's only by taking out his earbuds and opening his eyes to the people around him that he will finally be able to piece together his best friend's story. And maybe have a chance to change his own.

Part mystery, part love story, and part coming-of-age tale in the vein of Stephen Chbosky's The Perks of Being a Wallflower and Tim Tharp's The Spectacular Now, Playlist for the Dead is an honest and gut-wrenching first novel about loss, rage, what it feels like to outgrow a friendship that's always defined you--and the struggle to redefine yourself. But above all, it's about finding hope when hope seems like the hardest thing to find.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: I had pretty high hopes for this book, but I was slightly let down. It didn't hold my attention as much as I wanted it to. I wanted to know what was going on and what was going to happen, but the book was so slow moving that I don't know if reading it was worth finding out what actually did happen. 

I think the ending was done nicely. For a book with this tough subject matter, I feel the book ended in the best way possible.

CHARACTERS: I liked Sam, the main character. I felt bad for him having to deal with the struggles of losing his only friend and having to come to terms with moving on with his life and putting himself out there.

COVER: The cover is amazing. I love the color and the silhouettes. 

**I received an ARC of this book from Amazon Vine for my honest review.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! I love hearing what you have to say!