Thursday, January 2, 2014

Between The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea Review


TITLE: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
AUTHOR: April Geneieve Tucholke
PUBLISHER: Dial Books
PUBLICATION DATE: 8/15/2013
PAGES: 360
MY RATING:


INSIDE COVER SUMMARY: River rents the guesthouse behind Violet's crumbling estate, and as eerie, grim things start to happen, Violet begins to wonder about the boy living in her backyard. Is River just a crooked-smiling liar with pretty eyes and a mysterious past? Or could he be something more? Violet's grandmother always warned her about the Devil, but she never said he could be a dark-haired boy who takes naps in the sun, who likes coffee, who kisses you in a cemetery...who makes you want to kiss back. Violet's already so knee-deep in love, she can't see straight. And that's how River likes it.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: I was a little confused while reading this. While I was reading the story, I understood what was going on, but I wasn't sure where the plot was going. I guess the end of the book kind of cleared this up a little, but I feel like there could have been a lot more of a plot. The book got super intense near the end and left it in a great place for a sequel. 

I loved the writing and the setting. Tucholke painted some wonderful images in my head while I was reading.

I would not suggest this book for people who get frightened easily, because this is pretty creepy and twisted in some parts.

CHARACTERS: Violet was an okay character. Nothing spectacular, but she wasn't awful either. Violet's neighbor Sunshine felt a little pointless to the story. I didn't really care about her, even when things were happening to her. And River was just creepy throughout the whole book.

COVER: Gorgeous! It definitely sets the feel for the creepiness of the book. The font on the cover is awesome as well.

**I received a finished copy of this book from Amazon Vine for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! I love hearing what you have to say!