Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Impostor's Daughter by Laurie Sandell

Title: The Impostor's Daughter

Author: Laurie Sandell

Pages: 247

My Rating: (Out of 5)
Inside Cover Blurb: Laurie Sandell grew up in awe -- and sometimes in terror -- of her larger-than-life father. A former Green Beret with a law degree, a PhD, and fluency in several languages, he told dazzling tales of life in Buenos Aires, heroism in Vietnam, friendships with Henry Kissinger and the pope. In her childhood drawings, Laurie placed her father prominently among the faces on Mount Rushmore and herself ant-sized, gazing up at him. Beguiled and repelled by outrageous behavior, she grew into a young woman as restless as her father, roaming the globe, trying on her own outsized personalities -- Tokyo stripper, seduces of Yeshiva girls, yogi, Ambien addict. Laurie finally lucked into the perfect job: Interviewing celebrities for a top women's magazine. Growing up with her extraordinary father gave her a knack for relating to the stars -- she slipped easily into their surreal worlds, having lived in one herself. Yet even after meating so many of entertainment's most intriguing people, it was her father she still desperately watned to understand.
Her investigation uncovered a staggering secret: her father wasn't the man he claimed to be, not even close. His unbelievable stories were in fact an extravagant collection of lies, the discovery of which shook Laurie to the core.
In The Impostor's Daughter, Laurie Sandell asks: if the man whose identity is the basis of my own is a fraud, then who am I? This is a brilliantly original and dramatic graphic memior, a father-daughter story as achingly loving and heartbreakingly honest as it is visually captivating.
My Review: I won a copy of this book in a contest by Park Avenue Princess.
This book only took me 2 days to finish. I didn't want to put it down; I just wanted to know what was going to happen next. I guess this book would be classified as a graphic novel, which I've never read one before. There is a lot of adult content in the book as well as a lot of nudity in the pictures, so this is not for young audiences.
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It was funny and made me want to keep reading to find out the next thing that Laurie's dad was going to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! I love hearing what you have to say!