Monday, November 23, 2009

The Otherworldlies

Title: The Otherworldlies

Author: Jennifer Anne Kogler

Pages: 383

My Rating: 2 out of 5

Inside Cover Blurb: Fern communicates with her dog, blisters from just moments in the sun, and has correctly predicted the daily weather for more than two years. Even so, she's always seemed to be a normal twelve-year-old girl...until one day when Fern closes her eyes in class and opens them seconds later on a sandy beach miles away from school. When Fern disappears again, this time to a place far more dangerous, she begins to realize exactly how different she is.

With the help of her twin brother, Sam, Fern struggles to gain control of her supernatural powers. The arrival of a sinister vampire in town--who seems to have an alarming interest in Fern's powers--causes Fern to question her true identity. Who is she? More importantly, who can she count on? Soon Fern finds herself in the middle of a centuries-old battle--one that could destroy Fern and endanger everyone she loves.

My Review: I had a hard time getting into this book. There have been a lot of vampire books gaining popularity recently, and I like many others, have found myself wanting to read them all. This book had great potential to be a wonderful read, but I believe it fell short. The story was extremely slow moving, especially in the beginning. We don't learn about Fern's powers until about halfway into the book, and then we don't even really see her getting the hang of them until even later than that. I just believe that there could have been more going on throughout the book--more action maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! I love hearing what you have to say!