Saturday, August 3, 2013

Ghost Time Review


TITLE: Ghost Time
AUTHOR: Courtney Eldridge
PUBLISHER: Amazon Children's Publishing
PUBLICATION DATE: 6/11/2013
PAGES: 416
MY RATING: 

BACK COVER SUMMARY: Thea Denny hates the tenth grade, and her home life isn't easy. But she's passionate about making art -- and about her math-genius boyfriend, Cam. One day Cam mysteriously vanishes -- and then things really get weird. The stars on the school flag go missing, eerily cut out. Intimate videos of Cam and Thea start going viral online -- videos they never took. The FBI gets involved. And Thea can hear the voice of Melody -- a beautiful, disabled girl her age, whose illness has left her mute since birth. Cam once claimed to be the world's foremost hacker...Is he trying to reach her, send her a sign -- or is Thea losing her mind?

OVERALL IMPRESSION: What? That's what I said to myself as soon as I finished reading this.

It took me a little bit to get used to the writing - we hear Thea's scattered thoughts, it was a little annoying to me, but I adjusted eventually.

The whole story line captivated me. I was really interested in finding out what happened to Cam and why all of the strange things were happening throughout the story. 

The timeline jumps back and forth starting from the disappearance of Cam and going backward and forward in time with each chapter. It sounds like that would be confusing, but I had no trouble following it, and for me it really added to the interest of the story.

Then, I got to the end and I was extremely disappointed. From what I now understand, is that there is going to be a followup book to this one. When I was reading it, I had no idea, I thought it was a standalone book. I felt like the book kept picking up speed, going faster and faster, and then just - BAM. It stopped and there nothing. No crash, no explosion, just nothing. It just ended and left me feeling unsatisfied. I understand that authors want to pull you in and get you excited to read the next book in a series, but this one just left me confused with no idea where the story is going to lead next. I don't think I'll be picking up the next one in this series.

CHARACTERS: The characters were fine. I didn't get particularly attached to any of them, but I am curious to see where they take Mel's character. I liked hearing her thoughts and her feelings towards her father.

COVER: I do like the cover. I'm not really sure how it ties in with the book, because I'm so confused about what this book was trying to accomplish, but I do like the way the cover looks.

**I received an ARC copy of this book from Amazon Vine for my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! I love hearing what you have to say!