Friday, April 12, 2013

Escape Theory Review


TITLE: Escape Theory
AUTHOR: Margaux Froley
PUBLISHER: Soho Teen
PUBLICATION DATE: 3/12/2013
PAGES: 288
MY RATING: 1/5 - Did Not Finish


BACK COVER SUMMARY: Sixteen-year-old Devon Mackintosh has clung to Hutch's words since freshman year at Keaton. Never mind that Hutch whispered those words one crazy night together before classes even started. Or that Hutch was a legacy student with charm, good looks, and built-in popularity. Or that they never hung out together again. She and Hutch shared a bond that night; she knows it.

Now, on the eve of junior year, Devon is poised to become the prestigious California boarding school's first Peer Counselor. But Keaton is turned upside down when Hutch apparently commits suicide. As Devon provides confidential support for Hutch's closest friends, she comes to believe that Hutch couldn't have taken his own life. Bound by her oath of confidentiality--and tortured by her unrequited love--she finds herself on a solitary mission to get to the bottom of Hutch's death, with stakes higher than she could ever have imagined.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: I tried so hard to finish this book, but I finally gave up at page 177. I was extremely interested in the mystery and wanted to keep reading to find out if there was more to Hutch's suicide, but everything about the story was just so boring. I felt like it wasn't going anywhere and it dragged on so much. I may pick this back up at a later time just to see if I can make it through to find out about what really happened to Hutch, but for now I have no interest in continuing with this one.

CHARACTERS: All of the characters, besides Hutch, were so flat and un-entertaining. The beginning of the story sucked me in because we met Hutch and got to see his awesome personality, but then after he was gone, the rest of the characters were just existing and didn't have any depth. I didn't connect with any of the characters and I feel like I didn't really know anything about anybody.

COVER: The cover is fine. It ties in with the story. I like the pink color in the title.


**I received an ARC of this book for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! I love hearing what you have to say!