Friday, February 22, 2013

Pulse Review


TITLE: Pulse
AUTHOR: Patrick Carman
PUBLISHER: Katherine Tegen Books (Harper Collins)
PUBLICATION DATE: 2/26/2013
MY RATING:


SUMMARY (From Goodreads): The year is 2051, and the world is still recognizable. With the help of her mysterious classmate Dylan Gilmore, Faith Daniels discovers that she can move objects with her mind. This telekinetic ability is called a "pulse," and Dylan has the talent too.

In riveting action scenes, Faith demonstrates her ability to use her pulse against a group of telekinesis masters so powerful they will flatten their enemies by uprooting street lights, moving boulders, and changing the course of a hurtling hammer so that it becomes a deadly weapon. But even with great talent, the mind--and the heart--can be difficult to control. If Faith wants to join forces with Dylan and save the world, she'll have to harness the power of both.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: This book has great imagery. From the very opening scene, I could picture everything perfectly. Carman does a great job of painting a picture for us to imagine in our minds. I really liked the scene towards the beginning of the book in the old elementary school library.

About halfway through the book, I felt like I got slapped in the face (in a good way) by something I never saw coming. And then after that, the book lost it's way for me.

I feel like the book switched points of view way too often and in the most awkward of places. I would have enjoyed the story much more if it had only been from Faith's (the main character) point of view.

My mind got very distracted while I was reading a lot of this story because I just wasn't interested in the story line. I feel like I don't know what the point of the story was. The characters were preparing for a battle, but I don't know what the battle was about or why it was occurring  I also feel like I didn't know who many of the characters were or what their part was in everything.

I'm sure the next book will clear a lot of this up, but I will probably not be fighting to get my hands on a copy. It just wasn't for me.

Memorable quote: "Once everyone had a table, no one wanted these [books] anymore. But there's something different about holding them in your hands." (p. 40).

CHARACTERS: I didn't really feel a deep connection with any of the characters. I feel like they weren't able to develop enough for me to care about any of them, but I did enjoy the character of Hawk.

COVER: The cover is nice. It does make sense with the story and has meaning behind a vital piece of information that we find out.

*I received an advanced reader's copy of this book from Amazon for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! I love hearing what you have to say!