Friday, February 24, 2012

The Pledge by Kimberly Derting Review





TITLE: The Pledge
AUTHOR: Kimberly Derting
PUBLISHER: Margaret K. McElderry (Simon & Schuster)
PUBLICATION DATE: 11/15/2011
PAGES: 323
MY RATING:


INSIDE COVER SUMMARY: In the violent country of Ludania, the classes are strictly divided by the language they speak. The smallest transgression, like looking a member of a in the class in the eye while they are speaking in their native tongue, results in immediate execution. Seventeen-year-old Charlaina has always been able to understand the languages of all classes, and she's spent her life trying to hide her secret. The only place she can really be free is the drug-fueled underground clubs, where people go to shake off the oppressive rules of the world they live in. It's there that she meets a beautiful and mysterious boy named Max, who speaks a language she's never heard before...and her secret is almost exposed.

Charlie is intensely attracted to Max, even though she can't be sure where his real loyalties lie. As the emergency drills become real emergencies and the violence escalates, it becomes clear that Charlie is the key to something much bigger: her country's only chance for freedom from the terrible power of a deadly regime.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: This was a pretty good book. It does not make my top list of favorites, but I did enjoy reading it. The twist in the middle of the story was pretty predictable, but I still enjoyed reading everything as the details were revealed. I have a slight problem with the love story in this book. I don't know if everything happened too quickly or what, but I just feel like the love between Max and Charlie is too forced. It doesn't feel natural.

CHARACTERS: I am so jealous of Charlie's ability. I think it would be amazing to automatically understand any language. It would be so helpful in communicating with people, and I just think it would be fun. My favorite character in this book was Angelina. She was so cute and sweet and I just wanted to pick her up and protect her from everything.

COVER:  I like the cover a lot. I love the faded word 'PLEDGE' with the design. and I like the dark and mysterious vibe it gives off.

*I received this from Amazon Vine for Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! I love hearing what you have to say!