Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Alchemy of Forever Review (ARC)

TITLE: The Alchemy of Forever
AUTHOR: Avery Williams
PUBLISHER: Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers
PUBLICATION DATE: 1/3/2012
PAGES: 256
MY RATING:



BACK COVER SUMMARY: After spending six hundred years on earth, Seraphina Ames has seen it all. Eternal life provides her with the world's riches, but at a very high price: innocent lives. Centuries ago her boyfriend, Cyrus, discovered a method of alchemy that allows them to swap bodies with other humans by jumping from one vessel to the next, taking the human's life in the process. No longer able to bear the guilt of what she's done, Sera escapes from Cyrus and vows to never kill again.

When sixteen-year-old Kailey Morgan gets into a horrific car accident right in front of her, Sera accidentally takes over her body. For the first time, Sera finds herself enjoying the life of the person she's inhabiting--and falling for the human boy who lives next door. She knows Cyrus will stop at nothing to find her...and by staying she's putting herself and the people she's grown to care for in great danger. But can Sera give up the one thing that's eluded her for centuries: true love?

OVERALL IMPRESSION: I really wanted to like this book, but I just couldn't get into it. The summary on the back cover is pretty indepth, and I'm actually glad that I didn't spend a whole lot of time reading it, I just skimmed over it, because in my opinion, it tells you way too much about the story line. I feel like there's not much else in the story itself that isn't on the back cover. 

I loved the concept of the book and what the book could have been, but for me the story just didn't do it for me. I felt like I needed more to be happening. I wanted Sera to go out and do something about what was happening. 

The ending got to me though. It was really the only point of the story that made me go "WOAH" and because of it, I feel the need to read the next book in the series.

CHARACTERS: The main character, Seraphina, was a character that I enjoyed. She carried guilt and other emotions that were very relate able. Noah, who was the love interest, was very sweet and genuine. 

And then there's Cyrus, the antagonist. I want to know more about what makes him tick and just how far he is willing to go and what he will do.

COVER: It's okay. Not my favorite cover, but I do like the purples and blues.

*I received a copy of this book from Amazon Vine for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! I love hearing what you have to say!