Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Review: Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology (Audio)

27208741TITLE: Trouble Maker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology
AUTHOR: Leah Remini
NARRATOR: Leah Remini
PUBLISHER: Random House Audio
FORMAT: Audio Book
LENGTH: 7 hrs 12 mins
SOURCE: Bought
MY RATING: 

SUMMARY (From Goodreads): Leah Remini has never been the type to hold her tongue. That willingness to speak her mind, stand her ground, and rattle the occasional cage has enabled this tough-talking girl from Brooklyn to forge an enduring and successful career in Hollywood. But being a troublemaker has come at a cost.

That was never more evident than in 2013, when Remini loudly and publicly broke with the Church of Scientology. Now, in this frank, funny, poignant memoir, the former King of Queens star opens up about that experience for the first time, revealing the in-depth details of her painful split with the church and its controversial practices.

MY THOUGHTS: Before I picked up this book, I only knew of Leah Remini from her show King of Queens. I didn't even know that she had previously been a Scientologist, but I love listening to autobiographies especially when they are on social culture. I think Leah did a great job at the narration of her book - I always enjoy biographies more when they are narrated by the author themselves because they are able to emphasize parts they feel are important. Although, since I know nothing about Scientology, because of her New York accent, I thought through the whole book she was saying "Ella Rach" instead of  "L. R. H."

The book itself was enjoyable. I feel like Leah described her experiences really well and she did a good job of explaining why she left the Scientology religion while still being fairly respectful. I really enjoyed listening to her and I'l have to check out her reality television show sometime soon because I think it would be fun to get a glimpse inside her life as it is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! I love hearing what you have to say!