Sunday, March 23, 2014

Gated Review


TITLE: Gated
AUTHOR: Amy Christine Parker
PUBLISHER: Random House
PUBLICATION DATE: 8/6/2013
PAGES: 352
MY RATING: 


BACK COVER SUMMARY: Lyla Hamilton and her parents moved to the Community following the 9/11 terrorist attacks, looking to escape the evil in the world. They have thrived under the strict, charismatic leadership of Pioneer. Now seventeen, Lyla knows certain facts are not to be questioned:

Pioneer is her leader.
Will is her intended.
The end of the world is near.

Pioneer has visions of the imminent destruction of humanity. He says his chosen must prepare to fight off the unchosen, who will surely seek refuge in the compound's underground fortress--the Silo.

Lyla loves her family and friends, but lately she'd rather think about a certain boy outside the Community than plan for married life in the Silo with Will. But with the end of days drawing near, she will have to pick up a gun, take a side, and let everyone know where she stands.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: I loved this book so much. I've heard some talk of people not liking this book, so I was a little worried going into it, but I ended up loving it. There is a creepy cultish feeling in the begininng of the book, which hooked me right away. I'm fascinated by stories about cultures like the LDS or Amish, people who keep to themselves and have their own set of rules so this book was really interesting to me.

CHARACTERS: I really like Cody. He seems like your everyday average boy, and that's refreshing to read about in young adult novels these days. I also really liked the character of Pioneer. I feel like he plays his role extremely well, even though I don't personally like him, I felt his character was very well done.

COVER: The cover of this book is really creepy. I'm not really sure that it fits with this book though. To me, the cover says haunted ghost story or something along those lines, which this book is not at all. 

**I received an ARC of this book from Amazon Vine for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! I love hearing what you have to say!