Saturday, October 6, 2012

Mothership Review

 
 TITLE: Mothership (The Ever-Expanding Universe #1)
AUTHORS: Martin Leicht and Isla Neal
PUBLISHER: Simon and Schuster
PUBLICATION DATE: July 10, 2012
PAGES: 308
MY RATING:
 

INSIDE COVER BLURB: Things look grim when Elvie Nara finds herself knocked up right before her PSAT. To make matters worse, Cole Archer; the too-hot-to-be-human dreamboat co-responsible for her condition, disappears off the face of the planet after hearing the news, and Elvie's father ships her off to the Hanover School for Expecting Teen Mothers -- a seriously kitschy cruise liner stuffed with pregnant girls, and circling the planet in low Earth orbit.

But the cherry on this drama sundae? Three weeks before Elvie's due date, the ship is attacked. By dudes with ray guns. And one of those dudes just happens to be...Cole Archer. Talk about awkward.

Cole tells Elvie that the Hanover teachers are aliens (um, okay) and that she has to evacuate the ship to save her unborn baby from their nefarious plans. But, just how did Cole -- who doesn't know a driveshaft from a windshield wiper -- end up as a badass alien-fighting commando?

OVERALL IMPRESSION: The book didn't pull me in as much as I wanted it to. I really like the idea of the story, as there aren't many YA books about aliens out on the market, but I had a hard time connecting with the plot and the characters. There is a little bit of humor added throughout the book which lightens the mood a little bit and the chapter titles are pretty entertaining.

The ending -- AHH! I immedieatly checked online to see if/when the sequel is coming out. Good news -- there is a sequal, but no word that I could find on when it is coming out. I was leaning towards a 2.5/5 stars for this book, but the ending made me bump it up to 3 stars. I can't wait to see where the authors are going to go with the story.

CHARACTERS: I didn't really feel a connection with any of the characters in the book. I feel like I didn't get to learn enough about them. I guess my favorite would be Ducky. He is Elvie's (the main character) best friend. He truely seems to care about Elvie and wants to protect her. Cole is the father of Elvie's baby. I didn't see the appeal that he had over Elvie. I just didn't care baout him. He tries to be sweet, but I don't see how any of the choices he makes are okay in Elvie's eyes.

COVER: I love it! It doesn't get better than pink and purple! It's super vibrant and girly.

*I received a copy of this book from Amazon Vine for review.

1 comment:

Please leave me a comment! I love hearing what you have to say!