Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

 TITLE: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
AUTHOR: Michelle Hodkin
PUBLISHER: Simon and Schuster
PAGES: 452
MY RATING:

INSIDE COVER BLURB: Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there. It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed. There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love. She's wrong.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: This is a hard one to review. The inside cover of the book doesn't tell you a whole lot about what this book is about. It's hard to give a summary of the book without giving away the story. The story was slow moving. I was about halfway through the book when I realized not a lot had gone on to progress the story and I still didn't know what was going on with Mara. That didn't stop me from reading though. For some reason I was compelled to keep turning the pages and I didn't get bored with the book even with the slow moving plot. The last hundred or so pages is when the story picks up and everything starts to go crazy. The ending of the book left me confused. It's hard to explain without giving anything away, so I don't really want to expand on that.

I think this will be a book where reading the second book in the series will make me like the first book better because things will (hopefully) have been cleared up.

CHARACTERS: I liked both of Mara's (the main character) brothers. It seemed like Mara had the perfect family. Her parents were just overprotective enough without being overbearing, and her siblings seemed to be the best brothers any girl could ask for. I also enjoyed the character of Noah, Mara's love interest as well.

COVER: I love this cover. The cover is what initially drew me to the book and made me HAVE to read it. I love the dress that the girl is wearing.

*I received a copy of this book from Amazon Vine for review.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! I love hearing what you have to say!