Sunday, September 18, 2011

Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton

 TITLE: Blood Magic
AUTHOR: Tessa Gratton
PUBLISHER: Random House
PAGES: 405
MY RATING:

INSIDE COVER BLURB: It starts off simply.

Draw a circle...place a dead leaf in the center...sprinkle some salt...recite a little Latin...add a drop of blood...

Maybe that last part isn't exactly simple. Yet somehow it feels right to Silla Kennicott. And nothing in her life has felt remotely right since her parents' horrific deaths. She's willing to do anything to uncover the truth about her family -- even try a few spells from the mysterious book that arrived on her doorstep...and spill some blood.

The book isn't the only recent arrival in Silla's life. There's Nick Pardee, the new guy next door who may have seen Silla casting a spell. She's not sure what he saw and is afraid to find out. But as they spend more time together, Silla realizes that this may not be Nick's first encounter with blood magic. Brought together by a combination of fate and chemistry, Silla and Nick can't deny their attraction. And they can't ignore the dark presence lurking nearby -- waiting to reclaim the book and all its power.

Tessa Gratton's intoxicating first novel will keep pulses racing, minds reeling, and pages turning right up to the very last drop of blood.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: Loved it! This book was wonderful. It was so riveting, I had to keep reading and see how the story would play out. The end of the book was so exciting. I felt like I was in the story running around the woods with the characters. I was completely caught up in the moment of the story as if I was a part of it. I do have to say that this story is not for those with weak stomachs and it may also not be the best story for animal lovers. I am an animal lover and there were 2 scenes in the book where I had to read fast and keep reminding myself that it is just a story.

CHARACTERS: In the beginning of the book I did not like Nick. He was extremely rude to his classmates, but as the book progressed, he became more likeable in my eyes. My favorite character in the book was Reese, Silla's brother. He was very kind, caring and protective. He was basically what you would expect an older brother to be, and he was very good at being an older brother. Another character I really enjoyed was Mary (whom Nick calls 'Lilith'). I wish there was a little more of her in the story. I wanted to know more about her and her relationship with Nick's father, and how she came to be a part of their family.

COVER: I love this cover. Dark covers appeal to me and I love how this cover is dark with pops of bright 'blood' red.

*I won a copy of this book in a contest hosted by Kristen @ Seeing Night Reviews




2 comments:

  1. Great review!! Im so happy you enjoyed it as much as I did, I heart Reese too he was my favorite through out :) Thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this review! =)
    I have wanted to read this one for a while but haven't been sure!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I love hearing what you have to say!