Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Regine's Book Review

Amazon

TITLE: Regine's Book
AUTHOR: Regine Stokee
PUBLISHER: Zest Books (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
PUBLICATION DATE: 10/26/2012
PAGES: 336
MY RATING:
BACK COVER BLURB: Regine Stokke began to blog about her day-to-day life shortly after she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of leukemia in 2008. Her blog -- which began with the simple declaration that she would write about "what it's like to live with" the disease -- because an almost instant classic. From being the kind of teenager who sulks when she doesn't get a private room at the hospital, Regine gradually learns to face up to the terrifying implications of her disease, and develops a deep appreciation for life, for art, and for all of the people who surround and support her. Regine's Book is Regine's story as we encounter it on her blog, supplemented with previously unpublished texts, a selection of photos, comments from her readers, and remembrances from those closest to her. Regine's honesty, bravery, and uncompromising nature are an inspiration. Through her eyes, readers will discover a more vivid world -- and a new appreciation for life, art, and the power of the human spirit.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: This book made me think about my life. It made me want to live more in the moment and to be happy with what I have. Tragic events can happen to anyone at anytime for no reason at all and we need to be thankful for each and every moment given to us. I learned things that I didn't know about before. Regine was very informative about how things were working within her body. She also went into great detail about what being a bone marrow donor entails.

My favorite quote from Regine:
     "The world is unfair. For those of you who go on to live a long and happy life, I want you to try and give something back to the world. Think of all those other people whose lives are spent in suffering. Give. It's unbelievably important." (p. 103)

There are also some links included throughout the book that feature projects of Regines. Feel free to check out the links. The first one is a youtube video that I found extremely creepy but well done. The second I would recommend to everyone. It links to photographs that Regine took and they are all beautiful.

Youtube Video

Regine's Photographs


*I received a copy of this book from Amazon for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! I love hearing what you have to say!