Monday, January 4, 2010

Graceling

TITLE: Graceling

AUTHOR: Kristin Cashore

PAGES: 471

MY RATING: (2 out of 5)

BACK COVER BLURB: Katsa has been able to kill a man with her bare hands since she was eight--she's a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land born with an extreme skill. As niece of the king, she should be able to live a life of privilege, but Graced as she is with killing, she is forced to work as the king's thug.

When she first meets Prince Po, Graced with combat skills, Katsa has no hint of how her life is about to change.

She never expects to become Po's friend.

She never expects to learn a new truth about her own Grace--or about a terrible secret that lies hidden far away...

MY REVIEW: I've seen so many great reviews of this book and how everyone loved it, but I just couldn't get into it. I really wanted to be able to like this book, and I hoped it would get better as I read further into it, but it didn't. I don't know, it was a very good idea for a story and Cashore's writing was fine, but the story line didn't do enough for me. It was very slow moving and it didn't seem like there was much going on in the story. I just think the story line could have been 'beefed up' a little more; adding in more action instead of just a long walk through the forest.

Anyone else have any opinions on this one?

3 comments:

  1. I've heard great things about it but haven't tried it yet. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm one of those who loved Graceling. I thought the girl assassin was much fun and the plot didn't lag for me. It might have helped that I didn't have high expectations when I read it because I'm not a big straight fantasy fan. Funny how that can happen...having high hopes can sometimes end in disappointment.

    FYI, if you didn't think this had enough action, you probably won't like the sequel, Fire. I found Fire disappointing because of the lack of action.

    Hopefully your next pick will be more satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay pop up window :)
    Thanks, really bad of blogger not to think that far ahead about adds.

    Ok Graceling, I felt the exact same thing! I had heard such great things and then I read it and was disappointed. Something was missing and it was just ok for me

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I love hearing what you have to say!