Sunday, October 23, 2011

Siren's Storm by Lisa Papademetriou (ARC)

 TITLE: Siren's Storm
AUTHOR: Lisa Papademetriou
PUBLISHER: Knopf / Random House
PAGES: 272
MY RATING:

BACK COVER BLURB: Everything changed for Will last summer. On an ordinary sail with his brother, there was a strange accident, and Will washed ashore on the beach like a piece of driftwood, only to learn that his brother was missing -- presumed drowned.

Now Will and his lifelong friend Gretchen are trying to resume normalcy in their quaint seaside hometown, which is being overrun, as usual, by wealthy summer residents. But both are restless. Gretchen's sleepwalking habit is worse than ever. And Will can't stop thinking about the new girl in town -- Asia. Nobody knows who Asia is. But her otherworldly beauty and bewitching voice have a powerful effect on people...

When disturbing things start happening in town, including a rash of violent drownings, will and Gretchen begin to wonder -- who is Asia really? And if she isn't a beautiful summer resident but something entirely more sinister, why is she there -- and what does she want from them?

Compelling and eerie, this mesmerizing novel is steeped in nautical lore and the mythology of the sultry and mysterious Sirens.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: One thing I don't understand about this book is the title. In this book, sirens are referred to as "seekrieger's", so I'm not sure why the author decided to use siren in the title. Maybe it was just to help people understand the subject matter of the book. The ending of the book was wonderful. I finally got the fast paced action that I had been waiting for. All of the pieces finally came together and I got a sense of what was really happening in the town. I'm excited for the next novel to come out to see where the story will go.

CHARACTERS: My favorite character in this book is Gretchen. She seems to be the one that I relate to the most. She's pretty much just your all around normal girl, and she handles herself really well.

COVER: Love it! I love the hair in the girl's face and the expression she has. I also love how the whole thing is tinted in green, it helps tie in the mermaid theme.

*I received a copy of this book from Amazon Vine for review.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! I love hearing what you have to say!